Spinach and kale strata with parsley salad
Essentially a savory bread pudding, strata makes a terrific supper or brunch dish. Most of the time we think of parsley as an herb, but it’s a lovely salad green, too, with a bright minerality that cuts right through the richness of the eggs and the cheese.
In your bag
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 1-2 shallots
- 4 ounces dino kale
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ ounces grated Swiss cheese
- 1 ounce grated parmesan
- Large bunch parsley
- 1 ounce toasted almonds
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Toast the bread; prep the shallots and kale
Tear the rolls into roughly 1-inch pieces. Spread the pieces on a sheet pan and toast in the oven until crisp but still soft, about 5 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Wash and coarsely chop the kale.
Cook the kale and spinach
Mix the custard; make the strata
Bake the strata
While the strata bakes, make the salad.
Prep the parsley salad
- Pick the parsley leaves from the stems. Discard the stems.
- Chop the almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine the parsley leaves and the almonds.