Spinach and quinoa-stuffed portobellos with white bean mash
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
In this hearty vegan main course, meaty portobellos stuffed with quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach are served on a creamy bed of mashed white beans.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- ½ ounce sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 lemon
- 1½ ounces baby spinach
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
The recipe can be prepared through Step 4 up to 1 day ahead; refrigerate the quinoa, white bean mash, and mushroom caps separately, then rewarm before proceeding.
Make It Leaner
Shave off 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving by cooking the beans in only 1 tablespoon oil in Step 2. Serve only half the bean mash and lose another 72 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving. Enjoy the rest the next day as a dip for carrot sticks.
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
- Finely chop the tomatoes.
- Juice half the lemon (the juice will be divided between the quinoa and the white bean mash); cut half into wedges for garnish.
Remove from the heat. Add the spinach, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil and stir to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the white bean mash
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Rinse the white beans.
Prep and cook the portobello mushrooms
- Wipe the top of the portobello mushrooms with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt. Remove the stems and, using a spoon, gently scrape the black gills from the undersides of the caps.
- Brush the mushrooms all over with oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
While the mushrooms cook, chop the hazelnuts.
Prep the hazelnuts
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 17g (34% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 320mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 60g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts.