Spinach salad with grilled eggplant, roasted tomatoes and chickpeas
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
Grilled eggplant and roasted tomatoes hold up well against sturdy spinach and add a smoky touch to this simple end-of-summer salad. Chef Justine lightly fries the chickpeas in oil to help infuse the flavors of the spices.
- Early girl tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 1-2 shallots
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- Toasted almonds
- Fresh mint
- Chickpea spice blend (cumin - garlic - paprika - sumac)
- 1 lemon
- Feta cheese
Cook the tomatoes
- Core the tomatoes and cut into thirds.
Meanwhile, prepare the eggplant.
Prep the eggplant, shallots, almonds
- Slice the eggplant into ½-inch thick rounds and generously season with salt. Set on a paper towel to drain.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Chop the almonds.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Pick the mint leaves off the stem and chop the leaves.
Grill the eggplant
Cook the chickpeas
Make the dressing
- Zest and juice the lemon.