In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Steak fajita lettuce wraps with New Mexican chile salsa
Diabetes-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
In this new and improved spin on a favorite Sun Basket recipe, steak fajita wraps go paleo with sturdy iceberg lettuce leaves and our house-made guacamole to cool the mild chile heat.
In your bag
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sun Basket fajita spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- 1 head organic baby iceberg or other lettuce
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket New Mexican chile salsa (water - EVOO - garlic - dried New Mexican chiles - kosher salt - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)
- Sun Basket guacamole (avocado - lime juice - kosher salt - ascorbic acid - black pepper)
If making this dish for four people, cook the steak strips in two batches, adding more oil to the pan between batches if needed.
Shine from the Inside Out
The nutrition world can often be full of conflicting information, but one thing is clear: we can all benefit from more vegetables! Using lettuce to wrap these fajitas is a creative way to boost your vegetable intake without feeling like you’re eating salad all day every day.
Fajitas were born on the ranchlands of the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas, along the border between Mexico and the United States, where ranch workers blended dishes from both culinary backgrounds. When steers were butchered during cattle drives, the least-desired parts were given to vaqueros (cowboys) as part of their wages. Traditionally, they received skirt steak, which was tough but had a rich, beefy flavor. These days, fajitas are made with many kinds of steak, including the tender and flavorful sirloin here.
Calories: 480, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 670mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
While the steak browns, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
Cook the vegetables; finish the steak
Add the fajita spice blend and steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the steak is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes for medium. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables and steak cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; separate the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Measure the onion.
- Separate the lettuce leaves.
- Top the wraps with the guacamole and cilantro.