Steak fajita lettuce wraps with chile salsa and avocado
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
20 – 30 Minutes
Steak fajita wraps go paleo with sturdy butter lettuce leaves to hold crisp vegetables, New Mexican chile salsa, and avocado.
In your bag
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- Steak fajita spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 2 or 3 radishes
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket New Mexican chile salsa (olive oil - fresh garlic - dried New Mexican chiles - salt - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)
When working with delicate fresh herbs such as cilantro, it’s always best to chop them as close to serving as possible to prevent wilting or browning.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
While the steak browns, start preparing the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Remove the stems, ribs, and seeds from both bell peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds. Thinly slice half the jalapeño into half-moons for the vegetables and finely chop the remaining half for garnish. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the vegetables
Add the steak fajita spice blend and the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the steak is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes for medium. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables and steak cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the lettuce leaves.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh from half the avocado, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices. Save the remaining avocado half for another use.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Calories: 820, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 62g (95% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 41g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 13g (65% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 920mg (38% DV), Carbohydrates: 31g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.