Steak fajita lettuce wraps
Paleo, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free
20 - 30 Minutes
Whole lettuce leaves rather than carb-heavy tortillas, are the fun-to-eat wrappers for these steak faijtas. Butter lettuce is sturdy enough to hold together and deliver a satisfying crunch and tender enough to roll up easily.
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- Steak fajita spice blend (dried oregano - cumin - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- 1 head living butter lettuce
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket guacamole (avocado - diced tomatoes - lime juice - fresh garlic - salt - ascorbic acid)
- Sun Basket New Mexican chile blend (optional – New Mexican chiles - olive oil - fresh garlic - dried oregano - coriander - salt)
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging; drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from both bell peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
- If using, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the jalapeño; thinly slice half into half-moons for the vegetables; finely chop the other half to measure 1 teaspoon for the guacamole. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the vegetables
Add the steak spice blend, steak, and any accumulated juices; cook, stirring occasionally, until the steak is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes for medium. Remove from the heat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables and steak cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the lettuce, garnishes, and guacamole
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the lettuce leaves.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 770, Protein: 34 g, Total Fat: 57 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 37 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 105 mg, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1020 mg