In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Steak salad with chipotle vinaigrette and sautéed scallion relish
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
It’s always steak salad season at the Sunbasket test kitchen. Why, you ask? Because this dish is packed with an incredible blend of sweet, smoky, and tangy flavors—and comes together fast.
In your bag
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic rib-eyes (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic New York strips (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 head organic Artisan romaine or other lettuce
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 organic celery rib
- 1 or 2 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- Sunbasket chipotle vinaigrette base (extra virgin olive oil - whole grain mustard - onion - apple cider vinegar - tomato paste - kosher salt - chipotle chile powder)
- 3 organic scallions
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños
Nutrition per serving
Calories 480, Total Fat 38g (49% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 70mg (23% DV), Sodium 370mg (16% DV), Total Carb. 10g (4% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 29g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks.
For top sirloins:
Cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare.
For rib-eyes and New York strips:
Cook, turning once, until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
For filet mignons:
Cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare.
Transfer the cooked steaks to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steaks into ½-inch-thick slices. Wipe out the pan. While the steaks are cooking and resting, start preparing the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Cut the celery into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Thinly slice the radishes.
In a small bowl, stir together the chipotle vinaigrette base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, tomatoes, celery, radishes, and as much chipotle vinaigrette as you like (set aside any remaining vinaigrette for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the sautéed scallion relish
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the pickled jalapeños. Wash your hands after handling.
In the same pan used for the steaks, add the scallions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and as many pickled jalapeños as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual plates and top with the steaks and scallion relish. Serve any remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- Time the steaks.
- Measure the oil for the vinaigrette and relish.
- Set the table.