In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Steak tacos with zucchini-scallion salsa, cabbage slaw, and lime yogurt
Soy-Free, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Go lean and delicioso with these protein-packed tacos topped with a zucchini salsa, quick cabbage slaw, and zesty lime yogurt.
In your bag
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- 3 organic scallions
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket smoky spice blend (coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup organic Greek yogurt
- 6 Mi Rancho Artisan tortillas
Nutrition per serving
Calories 590, Total Fat 13g (17% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 840mg (37% DV), Total Carb. 79g (29% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 17g (Incl. 9g Added Sugars, 18% DV), Protein 41g
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the cabbage slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage and quick-pickle brine. Season with salt and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the zucchini and scallions
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise; season with salt and pepper.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the zucchini, cut sides down, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to cool.
Add the scallions to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the cutting board to cool, then coarsely chop the zucchini and scallions. Do not clean the pan. While the zucchini and scallions are cooking and cooling, prepare your protein.
Prep and cook your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
In the same pan used for the zucchini and scallions, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the salsa and lime yogurt.
Finish the zucchini-scallion salsa; make the lime yogurt
- Juice half the lime (the juice will be divided between the salsa and the yogurt). Cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut the remaining lime into wedges.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
In a medium bowl, stir together the zucchini, scallions, 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lime juice, and half the cilantro; season to taste with salt and pepper and more lime juice, if desired.
In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lime juice; season to taste with salt and pepper and more lime juice, if desired.
Warm the tortillas
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
Set out the tortillas, your protein, cabbage slaw, zucchini-scallion salsa, lime yogurt, lime wedges, and remaining cilantro. Invite everyone to assemble their own tacos.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Juice the lime.
- Assemble the salsa.
- Stir the lime yogurt and season.
- Help set out the taco fixings.