Steak salad with apples, green beans, and soft-cooked eggs

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Steak salad with apples, green beans, and soft-cooked eggs

Steak salad with apples, green beans, and soft-cooked eggs

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving

25–35 Minutes

The quest for a perfect soft-cooked egg ends here. Chef Justine’s no-fuss 5-minute method yields a white that’s set but not too firm, and a creamy yellow yolk. It makes a rich and elegant topping for this easy steak salad, and helps mellow the tartness of the bright lemon-basil vinaigrette and thinly sliced apples.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
  • ¼ pound green beans
  • Two 6-ounce top sirloin steaks
  • 1 apple
  • 1 lemon
  • Fresh basil
  • 3 ounces mixed greens
  • ¼ cup walnuts

Nutrition per serving

Calories 590, Total Fat 38g (49% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 250mg (83% DV), Sodium 390mg (17% DV), Total Carb. 21g (8% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Protein 45g
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Cook the eggs

Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Fill a small bowl with ice water. Gently lower the eggs into the boiling water; cook at a boil for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, immediately transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Return the water in the pot to a boil and season with salt.
While the eggs cook, start the green beans.


Prep and cook the green beans

  • Trim the stem ends from the green beans; cut the beans in half on the diagonal.
Add the beans to the boiling salted water and cook until the beans are bright green and just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain.
While the beans cook, make the vinaigrette.


Cook the steak

  • Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then cut the steaks across the grain into ¼-inch-thick slices.
While the steaks cook, finish the salad.


Prep the apple and the lemon-basil vinaigrette

  • Cut the apple into quarters. Cut away the core, then thinly slice the fruit.
  • Juice the lemon.
  • Strip the basil leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and basil with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the lemon-basil vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.


Finish the salad

  • Peel the eggs, then cut them in half.
  • Coarsely chop the walnuts.
In a medium bowl, toss the mixed greens with half of the lemon-basil vinaigrette.


Transfer the mixed greens to individual plates. Top with the steaks, green beans, and apple. Drizzle the remaining dressing on top, garnish with the walnuts, and serve.