Stir-fried steak and vegetables with rice two ways
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Crisp stir-fried vegetables form the backbone of this sweet and savory paleo-friendly and gluten-free steak dinner.
- 1 cup jasmine rice*
- 1¼ pounds top sirloin steak strips
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 scallions
- Sun Basket paleo stir-fry blend (coconut aminos - sesame oil - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
- ¼ pound baby kale
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
To prepare the cauliflower “rice” on its own, in a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the cauliflower “rice” and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Cover partially to keep warm.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the jasmine rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stir-fry ingredients.
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt, pepper, and the five-spice powder.
- Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms; cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Remove the stems, ribs, and seeds from the bell peppers; coarsely chop the bell peppers.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, discarding any leaves or thick stalks. Cut the florets into corn-kernel-sized pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate.
Sear the steak
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
Remove from the heat and stir in the kale and as much sambal oelek as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure out the water for the rice.
- Garnish the stir-fry with scallions.
- Set the table.
- Compliment the cook.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 61g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 460, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 16g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.