In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Teriyaki tempeh and bell pepper stir-fry over steamed rice
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan
2 Servings, 750 Calories/Serving
This Japanese-inspired stir-fry comes together in a jiffy. Our rich teriyaki blend adds the perfect balance of sweet-savory flavors to nutty tempeh and crisp-tender veggies.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket teriyaki blend (coconut nectar - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 1½ teaspoons black sesame seeds
Calories 750, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 690mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 106g (39% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 30g (Incl. 21g Added Sugars, 42% DV), Protein 29g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into 1-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a plate, and pat dry with a paper towel. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel the onion and cut into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch pieces.
Cook the stir-fry
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tempeh, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in the bell pepper and teriyaki blend and cook until the pepper starts to soften and the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cabbage, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the teriyaki tempeh and vegetables. Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the garlic.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds.