In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sumac chicken with berry and roasted cabbage salad
Diabetes-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Paleo, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
An unexpected pairing of fruit and vegetables—berries, watermelon radish, and cabbage—adds color and nourishment to this delicious supper. Pan-seared chicken is further brought to life by citrusy sumac; though it might seem like a mere spice, sumac is also a concentrated source of free-radical-fighting antioxidants.
In your bag
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about ½ pound)
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic watermelon or other radish
- 6 ounces organic blackberries or other berries
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 organic lemon
Calories: 500, Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 95mg (4% DV), Carbohydrates: 21g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the cabbage
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters.
While the cabbage roasts, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Measure 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] sumac; save the rest for another use.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] sumac.
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the watermelon radish; cut the radish in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons.
- Cut the blackberries in half, if desired.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Zest half the lemon and juice both halves, keeping the zest and juice separate. [Zest 1 lemon and juice both lemons.]
- Drizzle the cabbage with oil and season.
- Measure the sumac.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Juice the lemon.
- Assemble the salad.