In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Summer fennel–white bean soup with basil pesto and naan croutons
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
This vegetable-rich white bean soup is light and fast enough to serve in the summer. A swirl of Sun Basket’s basil pesto adds big flavor fast.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 organic fennel bulbs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 bunch organic rainbow chard or other leafy greens (about ½ pound)
- 2 or 3 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 whole grain naan
- Sun Basket basil pesto (EVOO - walnuts - fresh basil - fresh garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
If you would like to make a slightly thicker broth, lightly mash some of the white beans before adding them to the soup.
Make It Ahead
The soup (Steps 1 and 2, excluding the beans) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, gently rewarm the soup as you rinse the beans and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Calories: 670, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 45g (69% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 29g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 1000mg (42% DV), Carbohydrates: 57g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: (sugar in naan): 2g (4% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the soup ingredients
- Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; thinly slice the quarters lengthwise.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons [4 tsp].
- Juice the lemon.
- Rinse the cannellini beans.
Start the soup
Add the chard leaves, vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lemon juice, and 2 to 3 cups [3 to 4 cups] water depending on your broth preference. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard leaves are wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the soup cooks, prepare the naan croutons.
Make the naan croutons
Alternatively, toast the naan in a toaster on a low setting several times until crisp, then season with salt and pepper and break into pieces.
Finish the soup
- Strip the chard leaves.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the lemon.
- Rinse the beans.
- Top the soup with pesto and croutons.