In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Summer fennel–white bean soup with basil pesto and naan croutons
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Vegan
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
This vegetable-rich white bean soup is light and fast enough to serve in the summer. A swirl of Sunbasket’s basil pesto adds big flavor fast.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 organic fennel bulbs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 bunch organic rainbow chard or other leafy greens (about ½ pound)
- 2 or 3 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 whole grain naan
- Sunbasket basil pesto (EVOO - walnuts - fresh basil - fresh garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories: 670, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 45g (69% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 29g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 1000mg (42% DV), Carbohydrates: 57g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: (sugar in naan): 2g (4% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the soup ingredients
- Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; thinly slice the quarters lengthwise.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons [4 tsp].
- Juice the lemon.
- Rinse the cannellini beans.
Start the soup
Add the chard leaves, vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lemon juice, and 2 to 3 cups [3 to 4 cups] water depending on your broth preference. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard leaves are wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the soup cooks, prepare the naan croutons.
Make the naan croutons
Alternatively, toast the naan in a toaster on a low setting several times until crisp, then season with salt and pepper and break into pieces.
Finish the soup
- Strip the chard leaves.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the lemon.
- Rinse the beans.
- Top the soup with pesto and croutons.