Summer squash and black bean tacos with cabbage slaw
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
These easy vegetarian and gluten-free tacos get fast flavor from our custom taco seasoning, a mellow blend of chili powder, cumin, and coriander.
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 yellow squash
- 2 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 limes
- Taco seasoning (granulated garlic - chili powder - cumin - coriander)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 16 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 5 ounces Savoy cabbage
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- Fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 3 ounces queso fresco
Prep the vegetables and black beans
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Trim the ends from the squash and zucchini; cut them in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick wedges.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; finely chop the bell pepper. Divide into two equal portions, one for the black beans and one for the slaw.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Juice one lime (the juice will be divided between the vegetables and the slaw).
- Cut the other lime into wedges for garnish.
Cook the vegetables and black beans
Add the black beans and cook until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ½ cup water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in half the lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables and beans cook, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
While the tortillas heat, prepare the slaw.
Make the slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Finely chop the olives.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Chef’s tip: If you have time, you can warm the tortillas on the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry large frying pan over medium heat, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
- Rinse the beans.
- Juice the lime.
- Prepare the tortillas for warming.
- Toss the slaw.
- Set out the taco bar.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 380, Protein: 13g, Total Fat: 15g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Carbohydrates: 51g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 490mg