Summer vegetable marinara with polenta and soft-cooked eggs
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
This easy vegetarian marinara is so lightly cooked, it could almost pass for a succotash. A bed of soft polenta keeps it gluten-free.
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 1 red onion
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 1 ear corn
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 lemon
- One 18-ounce tube cooked polenta
- 1 cup vegetable broth
You can turn your remaining polenta into croutons: Heat the oven to 450°F. Cut the polenta into 1-inch cubes. On a sheet pan, drizzle the cubes with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast, stirring once or twice, until crisp and golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Make It Leaner
To cut 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving, use only 1 tablespoon oil in Step 3. Omit the oil stirred into the mashed polenta in Step 4 and you will slash an additional 60 to 120 calories and 7 to 14 grams of fat per serving.
Cook the eggs
While the water heats and the eggs cook, prepare the marinara.
Prep the marinara ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough red onion to measure ½ cup.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the bell pepper.
- Rinse the cannellini beans.
- Shuck the corn. Lay the cob flat and cut the kernels from the cob.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Juice the lemon.
Cook the marinara
While the marinara cooks, prepare the polenta.
Cook the polenta
- Cut the polenta tube in half. Remove one-third to one-half the polenta from the packaging; cut into 1-inch cubes. Save the remaining polenta for another use.
- Measure out ½ cup of the vegetable broth. Set aside the remaining broth.
Finish the eggs
Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 175mg (58% DV), Sodium: 720mg (30% DV), Carbohydrates: 55g (18% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).