Surf ‘n’ turf fajitas
Paleo Friendly, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Shrimp, top sirloin steak, and an array of good-for-you vegetables cook quickly in this easy and appealing family favorite.
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- Fajita spice blend (granulated garlic - coriander - chili powder - turmeric - cumin)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 12 Artisan corn tortillas (contain wheat)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 summer squash
- 3 ounces Savoy cabbage
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
If you have time, you can warm the tortillas on the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
Cook the steak and shrimp
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In the same pan over medium-high heat, add the shrimp and cook until firm and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the bowl with the steak and set aside.
While the steak and shrimp cook, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
While the tortillas warm, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red and green bell peppers. Thinly slice the bell peppers.
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash in half crosswise, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into ¼-inch-thick strips.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Juice half the lime; set aside for finishing the steak and shrimp.
- Trim the root end from the romaine.
- Cut half the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Finish the steak and shrimp
- Arrange the tortillas for warming in the oven.
- Juice the lime.
- Toss the cabbage with the oil.
- Serve the meal.
- Clear the table.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 670mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates: 79g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: milk, wheat, shellfish
Paleo-strict nutrition: Calories: 410, Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 160mg (53% DV), Sodium: 310mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 14g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: milk, wheat, shellfish