Surfer-style fish tacos with lime yogurt and cabbage slaw
20 – 30 Minutes
In our spin on the SoCal staple, we replace fried fish with sautéed sole and swap sour cream for Greek yogurt brightened with lime juice.
- 6 scallions
- 6 ounces shredded green cabbage
- ¼ pound shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 16 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 4 sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- ½ cup gluten-free cornstarch
- 2 avocados
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
Turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Make the cabbage slaw
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
Make the lime yogurt
- Zest and juice 1 lime. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
- If using, divide the cayenne into two equal portions, one for the yogurt and one for the sole.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 12 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
While the tortillas warm, prepare the sole.
Prep and cook the sole
- Pat the sole dry with a paper towel; cut the fillets crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips and season lightly with salt.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the cornstarch in an even layer; season generously with salt, pepper, and as much of the remaining cayenne as you like.
- Dredge the sole in the cornstarch mixture, turning to coat; shake off any excess.
While the sole cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Toss the slaw.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir together the lime yogurt.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh.
- Assemble their own tacos.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 600mg (25% DV), Carbohydrates: 64g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Fish, milk.