Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam and mashed potatoes
35 - 45 Minutes
Swedish meatballs aren’t exclusive to a certain Scandinavian furniture store. Called köttbullar, they’re beloved all over Sweden. For a silky-smooth gravy, slowly whisk in room-temperature yogurt or the sauce may separate.
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 scallions
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat panko
- Meatball spice blend (allspice - nutmeg)
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup lingonberry jam
Prep the yogurt, scallions, and potatoes
- Let the yogurt come to room temperature.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for the potatoes and the green parts for the meatballs.
- Peel the potatoes; cut into 1-inch cubes.
Cook and mash the potatoes
Coarsely mash the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
While the potatoes cook, make the meatballs.
Prep the meatballs
- Cut a small corner from the turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the meatballs
Make the gravy; finish the meatballs and cook the snap peas
- Cut any large sugar snap peas in half crosswise.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves for garnish.
Chef’s Tip Before cooking the meatballs, you can first test the seasoning of the meat mixture by cooking a tablespoon or so in a small frying pan over medium heat on the stove top.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Set the table.
- Serve the meal.
- Practice saying “köttbullar.”
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 33 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 16 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 195 mg, Carbohydrates: 58 g, Fiber: 3 g, Added Sugar (Lingonberry jam; Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic sugar): 0 g, Sodium: 540 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs