In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sweet and smoky cauliflower “steaks” with miso lentils and corn salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 890 Calories/Serving
Chef Chelsea brushes impressive slices of cauliflower with a blend of maple syrup, tamari and sweet smoked paprika, then pairs them with some showstopping sides.
In your bag
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 1 ear organic corn
- 1 head organic cauliflower
- Sunbasket sweet-smoky seasoning (maple syrup - gluten-free tamari - sweet smoked paprika - cumin - cayenne)
- ¼ pound organic red or other grapes
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon miso
Calories 890, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 131g (48% DV), Fiber 18g (64% DV), Total Sugars 23g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 37g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the lentils
In a small [medium] sauce pot, combine the lentils and enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat and cook until completely tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Return the lentils to the pot and cover to keep warm. While the lentils are simmering, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the corn
- Shuck the corn. Lay the ear flat on a cutting board. Cut lengthwise down one side to remove the kernels, then rotate the ear so the shaved side is on the bottom; continue cutting away the kernels on the remaining sides.
In a dry large frying pan over high heat, add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not clean the pan. While the corn is cooking, prepare the cauliflower “steaks.”
Prep and cook the cauliflower “steaks”
- Cut away any leaves from the cauliflower. Cut two [four] 1-inch-thick slices from the center of the cauliflower; cut the remaining cauliflower into 1-inch florets. Rub each cauliflower “steak” with 1 teaspoon oil; season generously with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, toss the cauliflower florets with 1 teaspoon oil; season generously with salt and pepper.
In the same pan used for the corn, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the cauliflower “steaks” and cook until browned and just tender on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the “steaks,” add the cauliflower florets, and cook, stirring the florets occasionally, until starting to brown and just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Brush one side of the cauliflower “steaks” and the florets with half the sweet-smoky seasoning, then turn the “steaks” and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Brush the cauliflower with the remaining seasoning. Turn the “steaks” again and stir the florets, then cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. While the cauliflower is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; assemble the corn salad
- Remove any stems from the grapes. Cut the grapes in half; cut any large grapes into quarters.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the corn salad and the miso lentils).
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]; set aside for the lentils.
- Coarsely chop the almonds; set aside for garnish.
To the bowl with the corn, add the grapes, lemon zest, and 2 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the miso lentils
To the pot with the cooked lentils, add the tahini, miso, garlic, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Using the back of a spoon or fork, mash until almost smooth, adding the reserved cooking liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more lemon juice.
Spread the miso lentils on individual plates and top with the cauliflower “steaks” and florets. Spoon on the corn salad, garnish with the almonds, and serve.
- Shuck the corn.
- Rub the cauliflower “steaks” with oil and season.
- Juice the lemon.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Assemble the corn salad.