In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sweet and sour tofu with water chestnuts, snap peas, and white rice
Vegan, Family-Friendly, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 750 Calories/Serving
In our version of this take-out favorite, we stir-fry crisp vegetables with your choice of protein, then bring it all together with our house-made sweet and sour blend.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 3 ounces organic sugar snap peas
- Sun Basket seasoned flour blend (rice flour - all-purpose flour - cornstarch - brown sugar - onion powder - granulated garlic)
- ½ cup water chestnuts
- Sun Basket sweet and sour blend (rice vinegar - gluten-free tamari - orange juice - brown sugar - ketchup - garlic)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Calories: 750, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 760mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 110g (37% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 7g (14% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut the snap peas in half on the diagonal.
Prep your protein
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
Start cooking your protein
- In a large bowl, add the seasoned flour blend, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Add your protein and toss, turning to coat all sides; shake off any excess.
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes for shrimp, 2 to 4 minutes for steak or pork, and 3 to 5 minutes for tofu, chicken, or plant-based chicken. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Wipe out the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
In the same pan used for your protein, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add your protein and any accumulated juices, snap peas, water chestnuts, and sweet and sour blend. Cook, stirring frequently, until your protein is cooked through, the snap peas are crisp-tender, and the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with your protein and vegetables. Garnish with the sesame seeds and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice
- Measure the onion.
- Season the flour blend with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds.