In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sweet and spicy Black Angus steaks with Hasselback potatoes and leek
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 650 Calories/Serving
Turns out, maple syrup isn’t just for pancakes and waffles. Paired with our chili spice blend, it brings caramelized sweetness to these tender Black Angus steaks.
In your bag
- 1 pound organic gold or red new potatoes
- 2 sprigs organic fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Steak options:
- 2 Black Angus filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus rib-eyes (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus New York strips (about 10 ounces each)
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chipotle chile powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 organic leek
- 1 or 2 organic carrots (about 6 ounces total)
Calories 650, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 250mg (11% DV), Total Carb. 65g (24% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 36g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the potatoes
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut a thin slice lengthwise off the potatoes to create a flat base. Working with 1 potato at a time, place the potato, flat side down, and cut it crosswise into ⅛-inch-thick slices, cutting only three-fourths of the way through.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Set aside half the Parmesan for the vegetables.
On a sheet pan, place the potatoes, cut sides up; drizzle with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, making sure to get the oil in between all the slices. Sprinkle with the thyme and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until the potatoes are browned and tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with half the Parmesan, and roast until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes longer. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the chili spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently, until well browned and medium-rare, 4 to 6 minutes rib-eyes and New York strips, 8 to 12 minutes for filet mignons. Halfway through the cooking time, reduce the heat to medium, then brush both sides with the maple syrup.
Transfer the cooked steaks to a plate to rest for 5 minutes. While the steaks are cooking and resting, prepare the leek and carrot.
Prep and cook the leek and carrot
- Trim the root end from the leek; cut the leek crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Soak the rounds in a medium bowl of cold water, allowing any dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leek from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] butter (from your pantry), if using, until hot but not smoking. Add the leek and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Cook, stirring once, until the vegetables start to brown and soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add ½ cup [¾ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is almost evaporated and the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining Parmesan and cook until melted, about 1 minute.
Transfer the steaks, leek, carrots, and potatoes to individual plates and serve.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Divide the Parmesan in half.
- Drizzle the potatoes with oil and season.
- Rinse the leek.
- Scrub the carrot.