Sweet corn and coconut chowder with roasted red pepper and poblano
An early summer corn soup gets richness from creamy coconut milk and smokiness from paprika and roasted red peppers. A poblano bring just a suggestion of heat, while chives and basil add a fresh finish. We recommend serving this with a toasted slice of crusty bread.
- 1 medium yellow onion (8 ounces)
- 1 poblano pepper (4 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn
- 1 roasted red pepper
- Spice mix (½ teaspoon smoked paprika-¼ teaspoon cumin)
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup vegetable stock (8 ounces)
- 1 cup light coconut milk (8 ounces)
- Small bunch basil (¼ ounce)
- Small bunch chives (1 ounce)
- 1 lime
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Husk corn and cut the kernels from the cob. Working over a bowl, use the back of a knife to scrape the cobs and extract the milky white juices. Add this corn milk to the pot.
- Cut the roasted red pepper into thin slices.
- Rinse and dry basil and chives, and finely chop.
- Cut lime into wedges.