Sweet potato and black bean chili
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
20 - 30 Minutes
In this latest collaboration with our friends at the Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen, juicy red tomatoes add acid while our custom chili spice blend brings just the right amount of heat (plus extra cayenne—optional, for those who like it hot). A perfect bowl to warm up your winter.
- 1 white onion
- ¾ pound chopped peeled sweet potatoes
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1½ cups cooked black beans
- Chili spice blend (chile powder - cumin)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 avocado
- Fresh cilantro
Start the chili
- Peel and coarsely chop the white onion.
While the onion and potatoes cook, prep the garlic and black beans.
Prep the garlic and beans; finish the chili
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Rinse the black beans.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Did You Know? Not all herb stems are created equal. When we cook with fresh parsley, thyme, or rosemary, we start by stripping the leaves from the stems. But cilantro stems are as delicious as the leaves, so we chop the stems and leaves together.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 580, Protein: 14 g, Total Fat: 25 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Saturated Fat: 3.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 78 g, Fiber: 20 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 470 mg