Sweet potato-scallion fritters with apple-Brussels sprouts slaw
Vegetarian, Soy Free, Gluten Free
Inspired by potato latkes, these fritters are crisp on the outside and moist in the middle. In our Sun Basket spin on the traditional sour cream and applesauce accompaniments, we pair them instead with yogurt and an earthy-sweet apple slaw. To make the fritters extra-crisp, squeeze the sweet potatoes as dry as possible, and be sure to allow the oil to reheat between batches.
- 1½ ounces pecans
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 3 scallions
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Fritter spice blend (Cup4Cup gluten-free flour - coriander - sweet smoked paprika - sumac)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Toast the nuts
On a sheet pan, spread the pecans in an even layer; cook in the oven until lightly toasted, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool; wipe out the sheet pan and leave the oven on for the fritters. While the pecans toast, prepare the fritters.
Prep the fritters
- Trim the ends from the sweet potatoes; peel them and grate, using the coarse holes of a box grater.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions crosswise.
Cook the fritters
Prep the salad
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts; cut the sprouts in half, then thinly slice.
- Cut the apple into quarters; cut away the core and thinly slice the quarters crosswise.
- Coarsely chop the pecans.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 830, Protein: 20 g, Total Fat: 52 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 35 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 165 mg, Carbohydrates: 76 g, Fiber 14 g, Added Sugar: 2 g, Sodium: 690 mg
Contains: eggs, milk, tree nuts