Chard and white bean stew with creamy polenta
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
Chard brings a virtual alphabet of vitamins to the table (K, A, and C) along with a hefty share of fiber, iron, magnesium, and potassium. Paired with antioxidant-rich tomatoes and protein-packed white beans, this will not only be one of the healthiest meals you eat this week, but also one of the most delicious.
- ½ cup polenta
- ¼ cup fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 bunch chard
- ½ pound Roma tomatoes
- Fresh oregano
- 1 cup white beans
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Cook the polenta
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate.
- Core and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Rinse the white beans.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the chard and beans
Stir in the white beans, chard leaves, and ¼ cup wine or water. Cook until the chard is wilted and the beans are warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Calories: 610, Protein: 21 g, Fiber: 13 g, Total Fat: 23 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 25 mg, Sodium: 780 mg, Carbohydrates: 79 g, Added Sugar: 0 g. Contains: Milk