Tandoori-style chicken with coconut okra and cilantro rice
Gluten Free, Soy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
Classic tandoori chicken is famous for its bright red color. A combination of the spices in the marinade and the blistering heat of the tandoor oven, it’s impossible to recreate at home. For Sun Basket’s spin, Chef Justine seasons yogurt with Oaktown Spice Shop’s earthy (and deep red) beet powder. The delicious result doubles as a marinade and a sauce.
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- Two 6-ounce skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Yogurt spice blend (Oaktown Spice Shop beet powder - garam masala - garlic powder)
- 8 skewers
- 6 ounces okra
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ounce shredded coconut
- Fresh cilantro
Cook the rice
In a pot, combine the rice and 1½ cups water; season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let stand. While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep the chicken and yogurt sauce
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Cut them into 12 even pieces.
- Cut the lemon in half; juice half and cut half into wedges.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice and half the garlic. Add half the yogurt sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Thread the chicken onto the skewers.
Roast the chicken
Cook the okra; finish the rice
- Trim the stem ends from the okra; cut the okra into 1-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Meanwhile, once the rice is done, gently fold in the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 47 g, Total Fat: 17 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 100 mg, Carbohydrates: 72 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 600 mg