Tandoori-style curried lemon chicken with mango-cashew rice
25 – 35 Minutes
This family favorite, inspired by India's tandoor cooking method, features mango, fresh mint, edamame, and roasted cashews.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound total)
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 mango
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup shelled edamame
- ⅓ cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup fried shallots
The chicken can be coated in the yogurt mixture, covered, and marinated overnight in the refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the chicken and the rice).
Line a sheet pan with foil and brush the foil lightly with oil. Place the chicken on the prepared pan. Roast, turning once halfway through, until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
While the chicken roasts and rests, finish the rice.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the rice
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh into two halves away from the pit. Cut the halves lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the ginger.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip and tear the mint.
- Toss together the mango-cashew rice.
Calories: 610, Protein: 40g (80% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 240mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates: 63g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.