In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tempeh “bacon” bowls with sage-roasted vegetables
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 780 Calories/Serving
With roasted vegetables, smoky-sweet tempeh, and a cinnamon-scented dressing, this vegan bowl is definitely one you’ll want to curl up with on a chilly night.
In your bag
- ½ pound tempeh
- Sunbasket tempeh “bacon” marinade (maple syrup - gluten-free tamari - sweet smoked paprika - cumin - cayenne)
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ pound organic Brussels sprouts
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh sage
- 1 pound organic chopped peeled butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Sunbasket cinnamon balsamic vinaigrette (maple syrup - EVOO - balsamic vinegar - sherry vinegar - cinnamon)
Calories 780, Total Fat 41g (53% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 300mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 85g (31% DV), Fiber 23g (82% DV), Total Sugars 30g (Incl. 11g Added Sugars, 22% DV), Protein 28g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Soften and marinate the tempeh
- Crumble the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to the bowl with the marinade, and toss to coat. Wipe out the pan.
While the tempeh softens and marinates, prepare the onion.
Pickle the onion
- Peel and thinly slice the onion. Measure ¼ cup [½ cup] for pickling and set aside the rest for roasting.
Roast the vegetables
- Cut the Brussels sprouts lengthwise into quarters.
- Strip the sage leaves from the stems and finely chop enough to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]. Finely chop any remaining sage for garnish (or see the Chef’s Tip for a crispier finish).
While the vegetables roast, finish the tempeh “bacon” bits.
Cook the tempeh “bacon” bits
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Stir the tempeh “bacon” marinade and oil.
- Strip the sage leaves.
- Season the vegetables for roasting.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette and garnish the bowls.