In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tempeh burrito bowls with basmati rice, black beans, and guacamole
Family-Friendly, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
Hearty and customizable, these gluten-free vegan burrito bowls brim with south-of-the-border staples. We finish everything with creamy, crunchy, and bright toppings.
In your bag
- ½ cup basmati rice
- ½ pound tempeh
- Sun Basket Mexican simmer sauce base (tomatoes - onion - EVOO - garlic - chili powder - sweet smoked paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 organic avocado
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
A cousin of tofu, tempeh originated in Indonesia and is made from lightly fermented whole soybeans, which means it has more fiber and protein than its relative, plus a subtly sweet, earthy flavor when cooked. We crumble it and cook it in water first to soften it, then simmer it in the sauce.
Calories: 560, Protein: 28g (56% DV), Fiber: 23g (92% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 30mg (1% DV), Carbohydrates: 73g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the tempeh.
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ½-inch pieces.
While the tempeh cooks, prepare the sauce and black beans.
Make the sauce; finish the tempeh and beans
- In a medium bowl, stir or whisk together the Mexican simmer sauce base and ¼ cup [½ cup] water until smooth.
- Rinse the black beans.
When the tempeh and beans are almost done, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the rice
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices. Set aside for garnish.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- Rinse the rice.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Juice the lime.
- Garnish the bowls.