In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tempeh étouffée with white rice
2 Servings, 790 Calories/Serving
Étouffée, meaning “to smother,” is a must-eat dish from the American South. In our plant-based version, we swap in tempeh for seafood and “smother” it with our savory gravy.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 3 organic scallions
- Sun Basket blackening spice blend (ancho chile powder - sweet paprika - granulated garlic - cumin)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Sun Basket Creole spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
Calories: 790, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 19g (76% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 94g (31% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
Start the tempeh
- Pat the tempeh dry with a paper towel. Crumble or cut the tempeh into ½-inch pieces.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the tempeh
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ¼-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions for garnish.
Cook the étouffée
Slowly pour in the vegetable broth, stirring constantly until fully incorporated and no lumps remain. Add the tempeh, tomatoes, and Creole spice blend and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and tempeh.
- Time the tempeh.
- Measure the oil for the étouffée.
- Garnish with the scallions.