In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tempeh falafel lettuce cups with Kalamata olives and pickled onion
Diabetes-Friendly, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
Tempeh makes a worthy stand-in for chickpeas in these crispy falafel lettuce cups chock-full of pickled onion, Kalamata olives, and lemon-tahini dressing.
In your bag
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic red onion
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sun Basket falafel blend (gluten-free panko - chickpea flour - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 1 ounce pitted Kalamata olives
- Sun Basket lemon-tahini dressing base (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
Calories: 690, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 46g (71% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 310mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 39g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the flaxseed meal and tempeh
- In a small bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water; set aside.
- Pat the tempeh dry with a paper towel. Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the tempeh.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh and transfer to a large bowl. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the pickled onion.
Pickle the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
In a small bowl, combine the onion and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the falafel
Add the falafel blend and flaxseed meal mixture to the bowl with the tempeh, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Using wet hands, form the mixture into ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the falafel
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 2 to 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the falafel patties and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and starting to crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed. While the falafel is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients and the dressing.
Prep the romaine and olives; make the dressing
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; remove 6  of the largest outer leaves for the lettuce cups and save the remaining lettuce for another use.
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits.
In a small bowl, stir together the lemon-tahini dressing base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir the flaxseed meal and water.
- Measure the onion.
- Form the falafel patties.
- Separate the romaine leaves.
- Stir the lemon-tahini dressing.