In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Teriyaki beef burgers with orange-kale salad and pickled cucumber
Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
These aren’t your run-of-the-mill burgers. Sweet, savory, and a little spicy, this mouthwatering dish features tender beef patties brushed with teriyaki sauce and topped with bright pickled cucumber.
In your bag
- 1 organic cucumber
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 organic scallions
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 2 teaspoons shichimi togarashi
- Sunbasket teriyaki sauce base (coconut nectar - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- 1 organic mandarin or other orange
- 2 ounces organic chopped kale
- Sunbasket “creamy” orange dressing (paleo mayo - orange juice - lemon juice - scallions)
- 2 whole wheat buns
Calories 560, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 660mg (29% DV), Total Carb. 51g (19% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 8g Added Sugars, 16% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Pickle the cucumber
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; thinly slice the cucumber crosswise.
Spread the cucumber slices on a plate, sprinkle with the rice vinegar, and season lightly with salt. Set aside.
Prep and cook the scallions
- Trim the root ends from the scallions.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Do not clean the pan. While the scallions are cooking, prepare the patties.
Make and cook the patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Using wet hands, form the ground beef into two [four] ½-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with the shichimi togarashi.
In the same pan used for the scallions, add the patties and cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until browned and cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and brush the burgers on both sides with the teriyaki sauce base. While the burgers are cooking, prepare the salad.
Make the orange-kale salad; assemble the burgers
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange; coarsely chop the fruit. Discard any seeds.
In a large bowl, toss together the kale, orange, scallions, and “creamy” orange dressing; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface. Top each with a burger and as many pickled cucumber slices as you like. Close with the bun tops.
Transfer the burgers and orange-kale salad to individual plates. Serve any remaining pickled cucumber on the side.
- Sprinkle the cucumber slices with vinegar and season.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Assemble the salad.
- Top the burgers with pickled cucumber.
- Transfer the salad to plates.