In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tex-Mex chicken salad with black beans and honey-lime vinaigrette
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
The secret to a great taco salad? Something zesty, something crunchy, and something green. Luckily, our Tex-Mex dish has it all: sweet citrus, crisp radishes, and tender spring lettuce.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- Sunbasket Tex-Mex spice blend (chili powder - onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - dried Mexican oregano)
- 1 organic orange
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 2 or 3 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 2 organic romaine hearts or other lettuce
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- Sunbasket honey-lime vinaigrette base (lime juice - onion - honey - Aleppo chile flakes)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 680, Total Fat 46g (59% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 310mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 41g (15% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 8g Added Sugars, 16% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep your protein
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the spice blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and the spice blend.
Cook your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, start preparing the salad.
Prep the remaining ingredients; assemble the salad
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange. Cut the fruit crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices or supreme into segments. Discard any seeds.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Thinly slice the radishes.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
- Trim the root ends from the romaine hearts; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop any large roasted red pepper pieces.
In a small bowl, stir together the honey-lime vinaigrette base and ¼ cup [½ cup] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss together the orange, beans, radishes, tomato, romaine, roasted red peppers, and ¼ cup [½ cup] honey-lime vinaigrette (set aside the remaining vinaigrette for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls and top with your protein. Garnish with the pumpkin seeds and serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Measure the oil for the vinaigrette.
- Assemble the salad.
- Top the salad with your protein and pumpkin seeds.