Tex-Mex tostadas with pickled carrots and avocado crema
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
35 - 45 Minutes
Tostadas are tacos served on flat, crisped tortillas, and we like to enjoy them every chance we get. Here we top them with an ingenious Tex-Mex mixture of pinto beans, chunky mashed potatoes, cheese, and mild green chiles dreamed up by Sun Basket’s R&D Chef Paul Conte. We leave the peels on the new potatoes for both flavor and nutrition, but feel free to peel them if you prefer.
- ½ pound new potatoes
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 1 shallot
- Carrot pickle brine (coconut vinegar - maple syrup - salt)
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- ½ cup cooked pinto beans
- 3 ounces Savoy cabbage
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (Monterey jack - sharp cheddar - queso blanco - Asadero)
- 1/3 cup mild green chiles
- 6 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- Avocado crema (avocado - milk - fresh garlic - salt - ascorbic acid)
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
Prep and cook the potatoes
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then cut the quarters into 1-inch pieces.
While the potatoes cook, prepare the pickled carrots.
Pickle the carrots
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the tops; cut the carrots on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Peel the shallot; cut in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Rinse the pinto beans.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Finish the potatoes
Crisp the tortillas
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 830, Protein: 23g, Total Fat: 41g, Monounsaturated Fat: 23g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Carbohydrates: 97mg, Fiber: 18g, Sugar: 27g, Added Sugars (Maple syrup): 12g, Sodium: 1190mg