Texas steak chili
Paleo, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 35 Minutes
Myth: Good chili always takes all day to make. Fact: Our one-pan paleo version cooks up fast but delivers rich, deep flavor.
In your bag
- Steak options:
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 2 filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Chili spice blend (chipotle powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 or 3 radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro or other leafy herb such as parsley
- 2 ounces shredded green or other cabbage
To get a nice brown sear on the steak strips, before you start cooking, dry the meat as thoroughly as possible and give the pan and oil plenty of time to heat.
Make It Ahead
The chili (Steps 1, 2, and 4) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, gently rewarm the chili, adding 1 tablespoon water to thin it if needed, as you proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Calories: 580, Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 180mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 35g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.