Simple Thai chicken salad with cabbage, carrots, and cashews
Diabetes-Friendly, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo
This quick 15-minute chicken salad combines crisp and crunchy greens with a sweet and zesty fish sauce dressing inspired by Southeast Asian flavors.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 1 organic avocado
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket Thai dressing base (maple syrup - lime juice - fish sauce)
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
Fish sauce is made by packing fresh anchovies in salt and leaving them to ferment, creating a delicious, funky flavor we can’t get enough of. It’s used much like soy sauce, as a salt-like seasoning. While it’s common in Southeast Asia, the ancient Romans also had a version called garum, traditionally made from mackerel.
Calories: 660, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 50g (77% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 31g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 630mg (26% DV), Carbohydrates: 24g (8% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: (maple syrup): 4g (8% DV).
Contains: Fish, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.