Thai green chicken curry with asparagus and jasmine rice
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie, Spicy
20 – 30 Minutes
In this collaboration between the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen and Sun Basket, chicken thighs simmer in a fragrant coconut-milk curry. A dash of fish sauce brings salty umami. If you’d like, peel the asparagus stalks below the tips before cutting and cooking them.
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- ¾ pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste (contains shellfish)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce
- Fresh basil
- 1 lime
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the ingredients for the curry.
Prep the curry ingredients
- Peel and cut the yellow onion into 8 equal wedges, keeping the wedges attached at the root.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Measure out ¾ cup chicken broth; save the rest for another use.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper; cut the bell pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus; cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
Cook the curry
Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, and ¾ cup chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the bell pepper and chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until the asparagus is crisp-tender and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the curry cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 550, Protein: 39g, Total Fat: 15g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Carbohydrates: 64mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 4g, Added Sugars (Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0g, Sodium: 1390mg
Contains: fish, shellfish.