Thai shrimp and rice noodle soup
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
25 - 35 Minutes
Tom yum soup runs a close second to pad thai for one of the most beloved Thai dishes around. Also known as hot and sour soup, ours has a broth that’s tangy with lemongrass, kaffir (makrut) lime leaves, lime juice, and ginger. Lesser versions rely on store-bought tom yum paste for the seasonings, but we use whole fresh aromatics, plus wild Gulf shrimp.
- 5 ounces rice stick noodles
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 2 kaffir (makrut) lime leaves
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 ounces button mushrooms
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 1 lime
- Fresh basil
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
Cook the rice stick noodles
While the rice stick noodles cook, prepare the ingredients for the broth.
Prep the broth ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion. Divide into two equal portions, one for the broth and one for the soup.
- Cut the lemongrass on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Tear the lime leaves in several places, keeping the leaves whole.
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems, keeping the stems and leaves separate. Set aside the stems for the broth and the leaves for garnish.
Cook the broth
Set a fine-mesh strainer over the pot used for the rice noodles. Strain the broth into the pot; discard the contents of the strainer.
While the broth simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining soup ingredients
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Juice the lime.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro leaves.
Cook the soup
Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Season to taste with the remaining fish sauce, salt, and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 490, Protein: 32g, Total Fat: 1.5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 215mg, Carbohydrates: 77g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 6g, Added Sugars (Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0g, Sodium: 1490mg
Contains: fish, shellfish