Thai steak panang curry with jasmine rice
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
Hailing from Thailand, panang is traditionally a red curry with a classic Thai blend of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty flavors. In our version, we infuse coconut milk with our custom panang curry paste made with green chiles instead of red, then top the dish with cashews instead of the usual peanuts for superior crunch. Peas and basil add a pop of springtime color.
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 lime
- 2 kaffir (makrut) lime leaves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- Sun Basket panang curry paste (lemongrass - diced green chiles - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - olive oil - turmeric - coriander - cumin - cardamom - ancho chile powder - salt)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
- Fresh basil
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the curry.
Prep the curry ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Zest the lime, juice half for the curry, and cut half into wedges for garnish.
- Tear the lime leaves in several places but keep the leaves whole.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Coarsely chop the pepper.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Cook the curry
Remove from the heat. Stir in the lime juice and as much sambal oelek as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the lime leaves.
When the curry is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 790, Protein: 44 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 16 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Carbohydrates: 81 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 790 mg
Contains: tree nuts