Thai steak panang curry with jasmine rice
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 35 Minutes
In this gluten- and dairy-free Thai-inspired curry, we swap out the traditional peanuts for cashews, and add punch with fresh green chiles and fragrant lime leaves.
In your bag
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 1 organic yellow onion or shallots
- 1 organic lime
- 2 makrut (kaffir) lime leaves
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- Sun Basket panang curry paste (diced green chiles - lemongrass - EVOO - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - ground turmeric - coriander - cumin - ancho chile powder - cardamom)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup peas
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh Thai (or Italian) basil
To get a nice brown sear on the steak strips, dry the meat as thoroughly as possible and give the pan and the oil plenty of time to heat before you start cooking.
Kaffir, an Arabic word, is a racial slur in certain parts of Africa, so cooks are increasingly calling the lime leaves by their Thai name, makrut, instead.
Calories: 840, Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 100mg (33% DV), Sodium: 210mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 92g (31% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.