Thai steak panang curry with jasmine rice
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
An easy, gluten- and dairy-free curry infused with fresh lemongrass, ginger, and lime leaves? It’s no wonder this has become such a customer favorite.
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 lime
- 2 kaffir (makrut) lime leaves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- Sun Basket panang curry paste (lemongrass - diced green chiles - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - olive oil - turmeric - coriander - cumin - cardamom - ancho chile powder - salt)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
- Fresh basil
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the curry.
Prep the curry ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Zest the lime, juice half for the curry, and cut half into wedges for garnish.
- Tear the lime leaves in several places, but keep the leaves whole.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Coarsely chop the pepper.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Add the steak; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not wipe out the pan.
Cook the curry
When the curry is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Chef’s tip: Rinsing rice removes starches on the surface of the grains that cause clumping. You can give the rice quick rinse in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water, or in a small bowl, cover the grains with cold water, swish a few times, strain, and repeat until the water runs clear.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 45g (69% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 15g (75% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 810mg (34% DV), Carbohydrates: 70g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts