Thai steak salad with summer squash and seared scallions
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
For a double dose of smoky grilled flavor without a grill, char the squash and scallions in a skillet before you cook the steak. Chef Justine tosses the vegetables with Asian greens and basil, then seasons everything with a Thai-inflected dressing made with rich fish sauce and coconut vinegar to plays up the meaty qualities of the meal.
- 1½ ounces raw cashews
- 6 scallions
- 6-ounces summer squash
- Two 6-ounce sirloin steaks
- 1 lime
- ¼ pound cherry tomatoes
- 3 ounces red radishes
- Fresh basil
- Thai dressing base (coconut vinegar - Thai fish sauce - maple syrup - toasted sesame oil)
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (optional)
- ¼ pound Asian salad mix
Toast the cashews
Sear the scallions and the squash
- Cut the scallions into 1-inch lengths.
- Trim the squash and cut lengthwise into slices about ¼ inch thick.
Cook the steak
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper.
Make the salad
In a large mixing bowl, add the Asian salad mix, charred scallions, squash, tomatoes, radishes, basil, and cashews. Add half of the Thai dressing and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt.
Transfer the salad to individual plates. Top with the steak slices. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 37g, Total Fat: 37g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6.6g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Carbohydrates: 30g, Fiber: 7g, Added Sugar: 6g, Sodium:1090mg