In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Superfood stir-fry with bok choy, black rice, and fried eggs
Vegetarian, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Black rice, aka “forbidden rice,” was once reserved for Chinese nobility. Thankfully, it’s now available to the masses, so we can all enjoy its nutty flavor and nutritional benefits in this veggie-packed stir-fry.
In your bag
- ¾ cup black rice
- 1 organic carrot
- 2 heads organic baby bok choy
- 3 organic scallions
- 3 ounces organic shredded red or other cabbage
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 1 organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
- Sunbasket stir-fry blend (coconut aminos - toasted sesame oil - garlic - ginger)
- 2 organic eggs
Calories: 600, Protein: 20g (40% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 420mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 80g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (cashew)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the black rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables and start the stir-fry.
Prep the vegetables
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim the ends; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the roots ends from the bok choy; cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for the stir-fry and the green parts for garnish.
Cook the stir-fry
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the carrot and cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Working in batches if needed, add the bok choy, kale, and white parts of the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the dish
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the cashews.
- In a small bowl, stir together the stir-fry blend and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice.
To the pan with the vegetables, add the rice, cashews, and as much stir-fry sauce as you like and stir to combine (set aside any remaining sauce for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm.
Fry the eggs
In a small frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 3 teaspoons butter or oil (from your pantry) until hot but not smoking. Crack the eggs directly into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the whites have set and the yolks are slightly runny, 2 to 3 minutes. If you prefer firmer yolks, cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Transfer the rice and vegetables to individual bowls, top with the eggs, and garnish with the green parts of the scallions. Serve the lemon wedges and any remaining stir-fry sauce on the side.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Juice the lemon.
- Crush the cashews.
- Combine the stir-fry blend and lemon juice.
- Garnish with the scallions.