Thai turkey lettuce cups
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
Known in Thailand and Laos as larb or laap, this is essentially a deconstructed salad. In Southeast Asia there are countless variations; some are made with duck and others, with pork. Many require a good deal of work. Ours is prepared with ground turkey seasoned with our custom Sun Basket lemongrass paste, so it comes together in a flash.
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - turmeric - olive oil - salt)
- 1 or 2 Persian cucumbers
- 3 scallions
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mint
- Thai dressing (fish sauce - lime juice - maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 head living butter lettuce
- 1 lime
- 3 ounces pickled carrots (carrots - coconut vinegar - maple syrup - salt)
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
Cook the turkey
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the turkey cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then into ¼-inch-thick sticks. Cut the sticks crosswise into ¼-inch cubes.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Strip the basil and mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Prep the lettuce and lime
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the lettuce leaves.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Ingredient IQ The flavor of lemongrass is more subtle than a lemon’s, with a floral fragrance that’s less acidic than what you get from lemon juice or zest. Sold by the stalk, it’s fibrous to the point of being woody and is almost always grated or pounded to a paste before being added to a dish. Like lemon peel, lemongrass is rich in a substance called citral that’s said to aid in digestion as well as relieve muscle cramps and headaches.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 600, Protein: 36 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 105 mg, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar (maple syrup): 12 g, Sodium: 1470 mg
Contains: tree nuts, fish