Thai turkey salad with cabbage, basil, and mint
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
This one-pan dinner in a bowl fires on all cylinders, from the tangy lime dressing to the subtly sweet, freshly toasted coconut. Keep in mind that the natural sugars in the shredded coconut can scorch easily when you toast it, so remove the pan from the heat as soon as the coconut starts to color. It takes only a moment to go from brown to burnt.
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - turmeric - olive oil - salt)
- 2 limes
- ¼ pound Savoy cabbage
- ¼ pound red cabbage
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mint
- Thai dressing base (coconut vinegar - fish sauce - maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
Toast the coconut
Cook the turkey
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the turkey cooks, finish preparing the salad.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Juice 3 lime halves; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish.
- Cut away any core from the Savoy and red cabbages; thinly slice the cabbages.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Strip the basil and mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves, if desired.
Make the dressing and toss the salad
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 820, Protein: 34g, Total Fat: 64g, Monounsaturated Fat: 30g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Carbohydrates: 36g, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 13g, Added Sugars (Maple syrup): 6g, Sodium: 1420mg
Contains: fish, tree nuts