In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Toasted rice and turnip soup with preserved lemon and Parmesan flatbread
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Rice takes on a delicious nutty flavor when it’s toasted. The process also helps seal in the grains’ natural starches so they don’t cloud the soup. Finely chopped preserved lemon peel adds both acidity and a briny flavor note that helps make this vegetarian main-course soup greater than the sum of its parts.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 leeks
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 6 ounces turnips
- 1 bunch chard
- Preserved lemon
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- Marash chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 whole wheat lavash flatbread
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Calories: 600, Protein: 24 g, Total Fat: 20 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 15 mg, Sodium: 1250 mg, Carbohydrates 86 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 0 g.
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Wash produce before use
Prep the soup ingredients
- Trim the root ends from the leeks; cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Soak the leeks in a medium bowl of cold water, stirring occasionally to loosen any dirt, and allow the dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leeks from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Scrub the turnips and trim off the root ends. Cut the turnips in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate.
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop the peel.
Cook the soup
Add the preserved lemon, vegetable broth, and 2½ cups water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the chard leaves and cook until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the soup cooks, prepare the flatbread.
Toast the flatbread