Tofu burger pita pockets with Greek salad, tzatziki, and potato hash
35 – 45 Minutes
These Mediterranean-inspired vegetarian burgers make an easy weeknighter, rubbed with a small bazaar of spices and paired with a tangy roasted potato hash.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 red onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 poblano (optional)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh dill
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- Tofu spice rub (granulated garlic - dried oregano - dried thyme - ground cinnamon)
- 4 Hodo Soy tofu burgers
- 1 romaine heart
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
To mellow out the sharpness of the raw red onion, in Step 1, soak the thinly sliced red onion for the salad in a small bowl of cold tap water while you prepare the rest of the meal. Drain and pat dry, then toss it with the salad in Step 4.
Make It Ahead
Except for the potatoes, romaine, and dill, you can complete all of the blue-bullet-point prep steps up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Prep and roast the potato hash
- Scrub or peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into 1-inch-wide wedges.
- Peel the red onions and cut in half. Thinly slice one half and set aside for the salad. Cut the remaining halves into 1-inch-thick wedges.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell peppers and poblano, if using. Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Wash your hands after handling the poblano.
While the potato hash roasts, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the tzatziki
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces. Set aside half for the salad.
- Juice the lemon (the juice will be divided between the tzatziki and the salad).
- Coarsely chop the dill; set aside half for the potato hash.
Cook the tofu burgers
- On a plate, spread the spice rub in an even layer; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the tofu burgers and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
While the burgers cook, prepare the salad.
Make the Greek salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
- Set aside half the feta for the roasted potato hash.
Warm the pita breads; finish the potato hash
Transfer the roasted potato hash to another medium bowl; add the red wine vinegar and remaining feta and dill and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Juice the lemon.
- Stir together the tzatziki.
- Tear the romaine leaves.
- Assemble and toss the salad.
- Build their own pita pockets.
Calories: 710, Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 20g (80% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 30g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 10mg (3% DV), Sodium: 910mg (38% DV), Carbohydrates: 80g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Contains: Milk, Wheat, Soy
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.