Tokyo fried rice with togarashi, edamame, and corn
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
Drawing inspiration from Japan, we sprinkle this gluten-free and vegetarian fried rice with togarashi, a seven-ingredient Tokyo seasoning blend worth getting to know.
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 carrots (about ¼ pound)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 ear corn
- 4 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Sun Basket stir-fry blend (gluten-free tamari - sesame oil - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
- 3 scallions
- ½ cup shelled edamame
- 1 teaspoon togarashi (black and white sesame seeds - poppy seeds - red chile flakes - dried orange zest - Sichuan peppercorns - nori - citric acid)
Togorashi literally means “chile pepper,” but the term is also used as a shorthand name for shichimi togorashi, the popular seasoning blend that traditionally includes seven ingredients (its name translates to “seven flavor chile pepper”). It was likely invented in the 17th century by medicinal-herb sellers in Edo (now Tokyo). Sprinkle any leftovers on your morning scrambled eggs, or onto the chicken, pork, tofu, or steamed vegetables in your lunch.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots into ¼-inch-wide lengths, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the bell pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Shuck the corn. Lay the cob flat and cut the kernels from the cob.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of the stir-fry blend; set aside the rest for garnish, if desired.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
Cook the vegetables
Cook the eggs; finish the dish
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 310mg (103% DV), Sodium: 1520mg (63% DV), Carbohydrates: 81g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: soy, eggs.