In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tomato-braised chicken with squash and greens
Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 380 Calories/Serving
Cooked in just one pot, this quick braise combines chicken with butternut squash, mustard greens, and a bright tomato sauce—it’s like autumn on a plate.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- ½ pound organic chopped peeled butternut squash
- ½ bunch organic mustard greens or other leafy greens (about 6 ounces)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket tomato sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic)
- Sun Basket vinegar blend (balsamic vinegar - red wine vinegar)
Calories: 380, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 14g (22% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 34g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot. While the chicken is browning, start preparing the shallots and squash.
Prep and cook the shallots and squash
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Cut any large butternut squash chunks into ½-inch pieces.
In the same pot used for the chicken, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the shallots and butternut squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup [½ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until the liquid has almost evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. While the shallots and squash are cooking, prepare the greens.
Prep and cook the greens; finish the braise
- Remove any coarse stems from the mustard greens; coarsely chop the greens.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
To the pot with the squash, add the chicken and any accumulated juices, tomato sauce base, vinegar blend, mustard greens, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, the squash is tender, and the greens have wilted, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates, garnish with the parsley, and serve.
- Measure the shallots.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the water for the braise.
- Garnish with the parsley.