In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tomato-braised chicken with squash and greens
Gluten-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Paleo, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean
2 Servings, 320 Calories/Serving
Cooked in just one pot, this quick braise combines chicken with butternut squash, mustard greens, and a bright tomato sauce—like autumn on a plate.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- ½ pound organic chopped peeled butternut squash
- ½ bunch organic mustard greens or other leafy greens (about 6 ounces)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket tomato sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic)
- Sun Basket vinegar blend (balsamic vinegar - red wine vinegar)
From the French vin aigre, meaning “sharp wine,” vinegar can be made from wine, cider, or other juices. The liquid is left to sit with beneficial bacteria that turn alcohol and oxygen into water and acetic acid. It’s the acid that provides that signature tang. The final flavor is shaped by the original liquid and the percentage of acetic acid.
Make It Ahead
The braised chicken (Steps 1 through 3, minus the cilantro prep) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, gently rewarm the chicken and sauce, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water as needed to loosen it, and chop the cilantro.
Calories: 320, Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 12g (18% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 140mg (6% DV), Carbohydrates: 33g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken browns, start preparing the vegetables.
Prep and cook the squash
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Cut any large butternut squash chunks into ½-inch pieces.
While the squash cooks, prepare the greens.
Prep and cook the greens; finish the braise
- Remove any coarse stems from the mustard greens; coarsely chop the greens.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Measure the shallots.
- Measure the water for the braise.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley.