In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tomato-braised chicken with sweet potato and chard
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
Up the flavor amplitude with a great braise. In just twenty minutes, chicken and vegetables take in the deliciousness of shallots, tomatoes, garlic, and a splash of balsamic.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 1 small bunch organic Swiss or other chard (about ¼ pound)
- Sunbasket tomato sauce (tomatoes - onions - garlic - olive oil - salt - spices)
- Sunbasket vinegar blend (balsamic vinegar - red wine vinegar)
Calories: 450, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 620mg (26% DV), Carbohydrates: 39g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot. Meanwhile, start preparing the shallots and sweet potato.
Prep and cook the shallots and sweet potato
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
In the same pot used for the chicken, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften and brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato and ¼ cup [½ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until the potato starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chard.
Prep the chard; finish the braise
- Remove and discard any coarse stems from the chard; coarsely chop the leaves and tender stems.
To the pot with the sweet potato, add the chicken and any accumulated juices, chard leaves and tender stems, tomato sauce, vinegar blend, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potato and chard are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates and serve.
- Measure the shallots.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Measure the water for the braise.
- Time the cooking.