In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Tomato-braised chicken with sweet potato and chard
Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Diabetes-Friendly, Mediterranean
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
This bold one-pot braise takes chicken, sweet potato, and earthy chard and lets them all simmer in a flavor bath of pure tomato goodness.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 1 small bunch organic Swiss or other chard (about ¼ pound)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket tomato sauce made by Talluto’s (tomatoes - onions - garlic - olive oil - salt - spices)
- Sun Basket vinegar blend (balsamic vinegar - red wine vinegar)
Calories: 450, Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 17g (26% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 700mg (29% DV), Carbohydrates: 41g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot. Meanwhile, start preparing the shallots and sweet potato.
Prep and cook the shallots and sweet potato
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
In the same pot used for the chicken, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften and brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato and ¼ cup [½ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until the potato starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the braise
- Remove and discard any coarse stems from the chard; coarsely chop the leaves and tender stems.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
To the pot with the sweet potato, add the chicken and any accumulated juices, chard leaves and tender stems, tomato sauce, vinegar blend, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the potato and chard are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates, garnish with the parsley, and serve.
- Measure the shallots.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the water for the braise.
- Garnish with the parsley.