Tomato quinoa soup with cheesy toast
Vegetarian, Soy Free
Chef Justine elevates the classic pairing of grilled cheese and tomato soup in this comforting meal. Quinoa adds protein and heartiness to the soup, while basil and parsley deliver a herbaceous depth.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1½ pounds dry-farmed early girl tomatoes
- Italian parsley
- Fresh basil
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 2 ounces grated cheddar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
Cook the onions and garlic
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Chop the garlic. In a 4-quart sauce pot over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and the garlic, season with salt, and cook until the onion is tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
While the onion and garlic cook, prepare the tomatoes and herbs.
Prep and cook the tomatoes and quinoa
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Chop the parsley and basil leaves.
While the soup cooks, prepare the toast.
Make the cheese toast