Turkey and white bean chili with cornbread
Soy Free, Low Calorie
Creamy white beans and dark meat ground turkey bring lean protein and rich flavor to this easy one-pot chili. Our housemade mix gets you fresh-from-the-oven cornbread in little more than the 15 or so minutes it takes to bake. Any chili or cornbread leftovers are wonderful for tomorrow’s lunch. Note that the cornbread requires only a quarter of the box of milk; save the rest for another use.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- Cornbread mix (all-purpose flour - cornmeal - sugar - baking powder - salt)
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- ¾ cup cooked white beans
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon sumac
Make the cornbread
- Lightly grease 4 wells of a muffin pan or a small baking dish with butter or neutral oil.
- Measure out ¼ cup milk; save the rest for another use.
While the cornbread bakes and cools, prepare the chili.
Cook the chili
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Rinse the white beans.
Add the chicken broth, white beans, and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the chili simmers, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 470, Protein: 25 g, Total Fat: 25 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Fiber: 6 g, Added Sugar (Cornbread mix; Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 8 g, Sodium: 530 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs