In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Turkey-apple patties with beet salad and cucumber salsa
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Made with a bounty of apples, this recipe is delicious to the core. When grated, apples add sweetness to the warmly spiced meat patties; and when sliced, they bring crunch to the roasted beet salad.
In your bag
- 10 ounces organic beets
- 2 organic Granny Smith or other apples
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket coriander-cumin spice blend (coriander - cumin)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Calories 600, Total Fat 38g (49% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 180mg (8% DV), Total Carb. 45g (16% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 28g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Tree Nuts (walnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the beets
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the beets; cut the beets crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds.
On a sheet pan, toss the beets with 2 to 3 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring halfway through, until the beets are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Meanwhile, start preparing the patties.
Make the patties
- Cut 1 apple [2 apples] into quarters and cut away the core. Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the apple, including the skin. Transfer the grated apple to a fine-mesh strainer; using the back of a spoon, press out as much moisture as possible. Alternatively, wrap the apple in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the moisture.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat, grated apple, and coriander-cumin spice blend. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into four [eight] ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the patties
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking.
Add the patties.
Beef, pork, sausage, or plant-based meat: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Turkey or chicken: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Make the cucumber salsa
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch pieces.
- Juice the lemon. [Juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon for another use.]
- Coarsely chop the dill.
In a small bowl, stir together the cucumber, dill, 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the beet salad
- Core and thinly slice the remaining apple [2 apples].
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sherry vinegar and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Add the beets, apple, and walnuts and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the beet salad and patties to individual plates. Top the patties with the cucumber salsa and serve.
- Scrub the beets.
- Toss the beets with oil and season.
- Juice the lemon.
- Stir the cucumber salsa.
- Assemble the beet salad.