In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Turkey-apple patties with beet salad and cucumber salsa
Lean & Clean, Soy-Free, <600 Calories, No Added Sugar, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Protein Plus, Mediterranean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Made with fresh seasonal produce, this fall recipe is delicious to the core. Grated apples add sweetness to the warmly spiced meat patties, while sliced apples bring crunch to the roasted beet salad.
In your bag
- 10 ounces organic beets
- 2 organic Granny Smith or other apples
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket coriander-cumin spice blend (coriander - cumin)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Calories 600, Total Fat 38g (49% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 180mg (8% DV), Total Carb. 45g (16% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 28g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Tree Nuts (walnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the beets
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the beets; cut the beets crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds.
On a sheet pan, toss the beets with 2 to 3 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring halfway through, until the beets are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Meanwhile, start preparing the patties.
Make the patties
- Cut 1 apple [2 apples] into quarters and cut away the core. Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the apple, including the skin. Transfer the grated apple to a fine-mesh strainer; using the back of a spoon, press out as much moisture as possible. Alternatively, wrap the apple in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the moisture.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat, grated apple, and coriander-cumin spice blend. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into four [eight] ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the patties
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking.
Add the patties.
Beef, pork, pork sausage, or plant-based meat: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Turkey or chicken: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Make the cucumber salsa
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch pieces.
- Juice the lemon.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
In a small bowl, stir together the cucumber, dill, 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the beet salad
- Core and thinly slice the remaining apple [2 apples].
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sherry vinegar and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Add the beets, apple, and walnuts and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the beet salad and patties to individual plates. Top the patties with the cucumber salsa and serve.
- Scrub the beets.
- Toss the beets with oil and season.
- Juice the lemon.
- Stir the cucumber salsa.
- Assemble the beet salad.