Turkey kebabs with carrot-snap pea salad and lemon couscous
Paleo Friendly, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
This quick and easy dinner (or lunch) combines two Middle Eastern classics, kebabs and couscous, with a snappy tahini-dressed salad. For a paleo-strict version, skip the couscous.
- 1 wedge preserved lemon
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup couscous
- 1¼ pounds ground turkey
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kebab spice blend (baharat - sumac - cumin - coriander)
- Wooden skewers
- 3 or 4 carrots
- ¼ pound sugar snap peas
- Sun Basket tahini dressing (tahini - fresh garlic - lemon juice - salt)
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
Cook the couscous
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop the peel.
- Juice 1 lemon.
- Cut the other lemon into wedges for garnish.
While the couscous cooks, prepare and cook the kebabs.
Make the turkey kebabs
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for the salad.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the salad.
Cook the kebabs
While the kebabs cook, make the salad.
Prepare the salad
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the tops; using a peeler, cut the carrots into thin ribbons.
- Thinly slice the sugar snap peas lengthwise.
To the bowl with the tahini dressing, add the carrots and as many snap peas as you like. Add the sumac and the remaining cilantro and parsley; toss well to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Chef’s tip: For the tenderest kebabs, don’t overwork the meat when you’re blending the ground turkey and seasonings. Use your hands to mix everything together as gently as possible. To test the seasoning of the raw meat, cook a small portion for sampling before shaping the meat as directed.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Make the tahini dressing.
- Toss the carrot-snap pea salad.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 500mg (21% DV), Carbohydrates: 49g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: wheat.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 430, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 14g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV)